It’s National Scotch Day and what better way to celebrate than to share a few interesting facts with you, and a dram of Scotch Whisky of course:-
1. Whisky can only be called Scotch Whisky if it has been distilled, filled into oak casks, and warehoused in Scotland for at least three year.
2. There are various kinds of Scotch Whiskies:
- Blended Scotch Whisky – a mixture of malt and grain whiskies
- Single Grain Scotch Whisky – grain whisky from one grain distillery
- Blended Malt Scotch Whisky – a mixture of at least two malt whiskies
- Single Malt Scotch Whisky – malt whisky from one malt distillery
3. Culturally there are different ways to enjoy Scotch whisky:
- In Scotland, Scotch whisky tends to be enjoyed straight with the occasional drop of water.
- In other parts of the world like Madrid, Scotch can be enjoyed with ice and cola and in Shanghai with Green tea.
4. Whisky in Gaelic reads ‘Uisge Beathe’, which ‘water of life’ and was used in ancient times for medicinal purposes to aid illnesses.
5. The angels’ share - Whisky stored in barrels gradually evaporates at an approximate rate of 2% a year. This is referred to as the famous ‘angels’ share’.
Lastly, Scotch is not just limited to Whisky, it can also be known for the famous breaded flavoursome scotch eggs,
Connect with us: