Glencadam Distillery, has requested has help from the local community of Brechin in trying to gather historical information about the distillery. As the distillery was built in 1825, it has a long history and ownership has changed hands a number of times. No archive that charts the distillery's history can be found.
Angus Dundee Distillers bought Glencadam in 2003, and would like to learn more about any events at the distillery, the people who worked there and the local community. We are seeking any information that may be of interest, in the form of stories, photographs, old news articles or documents.
Angus Dundee already know the following information about Glencadam Distillery:
- Glencadam Distillery was built in 1825. There are no records of by whom, it is thought a Mr Cooper, who sold the distillery to David Scott in 1827
- Owned by David Scott and his descendants from 1827- 1891 ( rented to various distillers)
- Chequered history with a succession of owners and closure during both world wars, while the warehousing was use for barracks
- Bought in 1950s by Hiram Walker and upgraded in size and production facilities
- Hiram Walker subsequently became Allied Domeq
- Closed by Allied Domeq 2000
- Bought by Angus Dundee Distillers 01.06.2003
We would be delighted to hear from anyone who may be able to help build a more detailed picture of life at the distillery since 1825.